Portolano Cavallo has longstanding data privacy and data protection expertise. Laura Liguori's privacy expertise includes user-generated content, data scraping, social networks, cybersecurity, protection of databases, data mining, big data and predictive analysis of data. In relation to data protection, she advises on profiling, cookies, employee monitoring, whistleblowing hotlines, location-based services, and cross-border data transfers."
Personal data and information
is a fundamental asset for any kind of business nowadays. Information and data need to be managed efficiently, adequately protected and exploited. At the same time, risks connected with the use of information (cyber risks, data breaches, etc.) may cause not only economic damages but also affect significantly a company’s reliability and reputation. The development of new technologies and the diffusion of cloud infrastructures need to be carefully approached on a national level, but also considered under a global perspective, bearing in mind implications concerning jurisdiction, competent authorities and applicable laws.
Two professionals of the practice area group obtained the Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) certification through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Our firm’s assistance concerns any aspects connected with data protection laws, including:
- data protection compliance
- data security and data breach
- data transfers
- employees’ control
- cloud computing
- mobile apps
- payment systems
- clinical trials
- wearable technologies
- big data
- privacy of employees
- information governance
- retention policy
In particular, some of the activities carried out by the firm in these fields are:
- assistance relating to the implementation of clinical trials in Europe;
- assistance in relation to multi-jurisdictions CRM compliance projects;
- assistance in relation to privacy issues connected with the launch of an e-commerceactivity in Europe;
- strategic consultancy is relation to transfers of personal data abroad;
- compliance with data protection laws and cookies requirements;
- assistance in relation to the processing of data within social networks;
- assistance in relation to proceedings before the Italian Data Protection Authority (Garante per la Protezione dei Dati Personali);
- assistance in connection with independent agencies’ requests to access personal data;
- drafting of policies for internet security and business’ email address use;
Clients appreciate the department's understanding of the sector, highlighting its 'very strong knowledge about data privacy and cybersecurity'."
The most valuable commodity I know of is information